Evaluate the implications for operations management in organizations that operate internationally. For this assignment, you will select and assess the same type of product from two different firms, such as an SUV vehicle from Toyota, and BMW. (NOTE: You cannot use the automotive industry, so pick another industry that operates internationally.)
In a 5-6-page paper, defend the organizations’ production processes, customer interaction in those processes, if applicable, and the technologies used in production. Judge each organization’s commitment to quality and excellence, as well as the process used for measuring quality. Describe each of the selected organization’s inventory methodologies and model(s), and any areas for improvement. Describe each of the selected organization’s movements toward lean processes or Six Sigma, and how these impact the culture, efficiency, and success of each organization. Finally, compare and contrast each company’s production processes, customer interactions in those processes, and technologies used in production.
Be sure to use at least two current, scholarly references beyond any required course readings. Current sources are those published within the most recent five-year period, and scholarly sources are those from peer-reviewed journals.
Make certain for each listed reference that you have at least one supporting citation in the body of your content. Your reference page is always the last page of the submission where all individual references get listed.
- Chapter 14 & Supplement to Chapter 14 in Operations Management.
- Chapter 14 PowerPoint slides – Operations Management.
- Albliwi, S. A., Antony, J., Arshed, N., & Ghadge, A. (2017). Implementation of Lean Six Sigma in Saudi Arabian organisations: Finding from a survey. International Journal of Quality & Reliability Management, 34(4), 508-529. https://doi.org/10.1108/IJQRM-09-2015-0138
- Elking, I., Paraskevas, J-P., Grimm, C, Corsi, T., & Steven, A. (2017, April). Financial dependence, lean inventory strategy, and firm performance. Supply Chain Management, 53(2), 22-38.
- Haddad, M. G., Zouein, P. P., Salem, J., & Otayek, R. (2016). Case study of Lean in hospital admissions to inspire culture change. Engineering Management Journal, 28(4), 209-223.
- FastCap. (2014, May 7). Lean manufacturing – Lean factory tour – FastCap [Video file]. Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYby_HczyDA
- Garate, W. (2013, December 19). Toyota production system – 5S just, just in time, Kaisen[Video file]. Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kce2L23yLcw
- Stevenson, W. (2015). JIT McDonalds style [Video file]. Retrieved from https://www.viddler.com/embed/d097878b/?f=1&autoplay=0&player=full&disablebranding=0
For Your Success
In this final module, you will examine lean operations and how lean can relate to a successful implementation of operations management within an organization or an industry.</pstyle=”outline:>