Question 1: 300 words or more
Prepare: Prior to completing this discussion question, review Chapters 10, 11, and 12 in American Government, and review the Week 5 Instructor Guidance. Also, read the following articles: The Problem of Voter Fraud, Voter Identification Laws and the Suppression of Minority Votes and Proof at the Polls.
Reflect: The United States has one of the lowest voter turnout rates among modern democratic political systems. During the last decade, many initiatives have been undertaken to increase voter participation, yet concerns about the possibility of election fraud have also increased. Additionally, some political interests feel threatened by the increase in turnout among some traditionally low-turnout ethnic minorities. Several states have recently passed legislation imposing new registration and identification requirements. This has sparked debate about whether these are tactics intended to suppress turnout or to prevent fraud. Think about the media’s role in the election process and how both mass media and social media can impact the election process. How has the media’s role changed in recent years, especially considering President Trump’s stance on “fake news”?
Write: In your initial post,
Describe voter ID laws in a state of your choosing. Summarize any recent developments or controversies regarding voter ID laws in the state you have chosen.
- Analyze and describe the pros and cons on both sides of the debate about these laws.
- Is voter fraud a major problem for our democracy, or are some groups trying to make it harder for some segments of society to vote?
- Analyze the impact that media (mass and social) has had in influencing public opinion, specifically regarding voter ID laws.
- How was the Trump/Clinton election in 2016 impacted by voter laws and the media?
This web page provides an overview of some of the differences in Voter ID laws in the different states: Voting Laws & Requirements: Voting Methods and Options
Your initial post must be at least 300 words. If you are citing statistics our outside resources, please list the website or the reference entry.
Question 2: 100 words or more
This discussion forum allows you the opportunity to explore topics that interest you and relate to United States government and the political processes we are discussing. Within this forum, you will share critical insights and discuss questions and issues that we are studying, share your personal challenges and successes, and discuss any concepts that you do not completely understand that have been discussed or addressed in our materials this week. Your initial post should focus on your personal experience within the course over the past week and should prompt further discussion from your classmates. Please be sure to address the following questions:
What was your experience like utilizing the University of Arizona’s Global Campus’ Writing Center? Did you find the feedback they provided helpful for your Final Paper? How will you incorporate this feedback into your Final Paper? Share some of the insights the feedback provided you.
In addition to the questions above, also address at least one of the following questions as you reflect on the learning week:
What was the most interesting and/or intriguing concept you learned about during this week?
- Are there any current events that you can recall that relate to the course concepts we are studying this week?
- What insights have you had?
- What concepts are causing you to struggle?
- What questions have arisen for you at this point?
- Do you have any helpful tips or ideas to help students better understand the material and course concepts?
- What questions do you have regarding any of the discussions or assignments that your classmates might be able to provide insight? (Please note, if you have a question for the instructor, be sure to contact them through email or in the Ask Your Instructor forum, as they may not see the question here.)