Week 4 Reflective Journal
[WLO: 1] [CLOs: 1, 3, 4]
Prior to beginning work on this assignment, read Chapters 7 and 8 in Superforecasting.
The intent of the journal is to apply what you have learned to how data analytics is applied in industry. After reading the assigned chapters of Superforecasting this week, write a reflective journal of the three most important take-aways contained in the chapters. Your journal should be between two to three pages excluding cover and reference page.
Data Mining Best Practices
[WLO: 1] [CLO: 4]
Prior to beginning work on this assignment, review Chapter 21 of your textbook.
In this assignment, you will analyze current data mining practices and evaluate the pros and cons of data mining. Provide one example of a company that has successfully practiced data mining and discuss why they were successful. Then, research a company that experienced a failed data mining practice. What data mining best practices could they have implemented to avoid this failure?
In your paper,
- Discuss the industry standards for data mining best practices.
- Identify pitfalls in data mining, including practices that should be avoided.
- Provide an example of company that has successfully practiced data mining. What steps and precautions did they take to ensure the success of their data mining endeavor? How did they keep customer data safe?
- In a second example, research a company that experienced a failed data mining experience. What pitfalls did the organization fall into? What would you have done differently?
The Data Mining Best Practices paper
- Must be four to five double-spaced pages in length (not including title and references pages) and formatted according to APA Style (Links to an external site.) as outlined in the Writing Center’s APA Formatting for Microsoft Word (Links to an external site.) resource.
- Must include a separate title page with the following:
- Title of paper in bold font
- Space should appear between the title and the rest of the information on the title page.
- Student’s name
- Name of institution (University of Arizona Global Campus)
- Course name and number
- Instructor’s name
- Due date
- Title of paper in bold font
- Must utilize academic voice. See the Academic Voice (Links to an external site.) resource for additional guidance.
- Must include an introduction and conclusion paragraph. Your introduction paragraph needs to end with a clear thesis statement that indicates the purpose of your paper.
- For assistance on writing Introductions & Conclusions (Links to an external site.) as well as Writing a Thesis Statement (Links to an external site.), refer to the Writing Center resources.
- Must use at least two credible sources in addition to the course text.
- The Scholarly, Peer-Reviewed, and Other Credible Sources (Links to an external site.) table offers additional guidance on appropriate source types. If you have questions about whether a specific source is appropriate for this assignment, please contact your instructor. Your instructor has the final say about the appropriateness of a specific source for a particular assignment.
- Must document any information used from sources in APA Style as outlined in the Writing Center’s APA: Citing Within Your Paper (Links to an external site.) guide.
- (Links to an external site.)Must include a separate references page that is formatted according to APA Style as outlined in the Writing Center. See the APA: Formatting Your References List (Links to an external site.) resource in the Writing Center for specifications.
Carefully review the Grading Rubric (Links to an external site.) for the criteria that will be used to evaluate your assignment.